Friday, October 26, 2007

Another day in paradise...

The title of this post....well you hear it all the time up here on the North Slope. It's the constant phrase of nearly everyone. Pass someone in the hall and say "Hi, how's it going?" or just "Hey!" or "good morning" - the majority of the time the response will be, "Just another day in paradise." And if you've been up here for more than 30 seconds, you can definitely hear the ring of sarcasm in the statement. It's said in jest, of course, but it's also a way of keeping the spirits up around here. And in some ways and to some degree, it is true. Where else can you work and get approx 50% of the year off? Where else can you work and not have to pay for one single thing - food is provided - housing is provided - transportation is provided. Yep, while you're up here you pay for nothing. You just work and earn money.
So, you ask, why would anyone leave a dream job that pays extremely well, and allows you half the year off to do as you please? There's also another saying, "You go to work for a company because of the money, but you usually leave a company because of the people (or person). Well, I'm hear to tell you, in my case it is soooooo true. One person has literally turned me sour on the whole slope work experience. As my grandkids like to say, "Nine more sleeps and I'll be home." Before they could tell time and read a calendar it was (and still his for little R) their way of knowing when an event would happen, by the number of 'sleeps'. Well, G-ma will be going home in nine more sleeps.
Am I venting here, you bet! Ok, back to work here or I'll be going home a lot sooner!

2 comments:

Ticket 4 Two said...

I knew I liked you. I have a red jeep wrangler. It's name is "jeepy", i know... veerrry original. It was my baby until my dogs came along. Now it's baby #4. Right after my husband. And sometimes before ;)

Larry and Steph said...

Um....so the grandkids have nine more sleeps till G-ma comes home....how many more sleeps for us in Ohio till you really come "home"???

Miss you soooooooo much!!!